Hair Follicle Testing
Hair follicle drug testing is an effective measure for those needing to reveal long-term substance use of the test subject. The results carry a high degree of accuracy, and it can be an effective method for safety-critical positions in the maintenance of a zero-tolerance drug use workplace policy.
How it Works
When drugs are used, traces enter the bloodstream. Some of these metabolites find their way to the hair shaft. With a sample no larger than the diameter of a pencil, traces of the drug can be detected as they travel through the blood and end up the hair shaft. Collecting a small, pencil-sized portion of hair is all it takes to determine if drugs have been used.
Hair Test Facts
- Can accurately reveal drug use within a 14-90 day detection window
- Ideal for chronic drug use
- Results available within 3-5 business days
- Hair taken from crown of head, placed in chemical solution to remove contaminants, liquefied, and tested
- Accuracy percentage high since there are no proven ways to tamper with a hair drug test
Long-Term Detection Window
Just like with fingernails, hair is made up of the protein keratin. When metabolites of drugs become integrated into the hair’s fibers, they remain locked in as the hair grows. Typically, this method can effectively detect the presence of substances up to 90 days following use. In most cases, hair sample drug testing can detect drug use for up to 90 days after use. This can make it a great option for monitoring individuals in treatment programs.
Our staff has state-of-the-art equipment to be used in efficient hair drug testing. Call to learn more today.