A Nail Drug Test
How Can Drugs Be Detected in a Nail Drug Test?
Fingernail drug testing (or toenail) is about the same as hair follicle testing. The fingernail or toenail is rooted in the nail bed that has direct contact with blood flow. Like hair, nails are composed of keratin and can, therefore, be tested in a similar manner.
As the nail grows, the metabolites stemming from illegal substances become locked in. This makes for a wider window of potential use. A nail drug test is capable of detecting use within the past 6 to 8 months depending on nail length. Also, fingernails are four times thicker than a strand of hair, which means you can often capture more substance than within the hair.
Best of all, there is no reliable way to cheat a nail drug test.
How is Nail Drug Testing Performed?
A Walk Through the Collection Process
- The nail is cleaned thoroughly with a chemical substance
- The nail is retrieved and shaved/clipped in preparation for testing
- The specimen is then liquefied and tested at the lab
Who is the Best Candidate for a Nail Drug Test?
A nail drug test is usually performed when hair follicle testing cannot occur due to a lack of sufficient hair or in cases where a history of drug use if suspected but the approximate time of use is unknown.
Nail Drug Test FAQS (Frequently Asked Questions):
"If I have fake nails, can I still test?"
– All acrylic and other artificial nails must be removed before arriving for the test. We are not allowed to remove them.
"What if my nails are painted or treated with a strengthener?"
– All nail polish, nail paint, enamels, and treatments must be removed completely before arriving for the test. We are not allowed to remove them.
"My nails aren’t long enough, how long do I need to wait before I can test?"
– Nail samples must be 2 - 3 millimeters in length on all fingers (or toes) to provide a sample of sufficient weight. We recommend 3 weeks as a good approximation for how long it will take for a sufficient sample to grow.
Learn More About Our Testing Services
A nail drug test is one of many reliable drug testing options you can count on with Test Smartly Labs. When you call to schedule, we’re happy to walk you through the options to make sure it’s the right one for your needs. Schedule Your Nail Drug Test with Test Smartly Labs Today!